What is Winterization?
In order to winterize a home, a number of steps must be taken to ensure that it is ready for cold weather. This includes the following:
- Turning off water supply.
- Turning off and draining water heater.
- Draining supply lines.
- Blowing out water supply lines to ensure there is no remaining water.
- Draining appliances and any water filters or water treatment systems.
- Draining heating systems if needed.
- Filling drains or traps with anti-freeze.
If you plan to be gone for a short period of time over the winter, full winterization is not necessary, but at the very least be sure to leave your heat on at a minimum setting. While this may seem like a waste of money and energy, the price of your heating bill will still be less expensive than damages that might occur with a frozen pipe. You can, however, turn off the main water supply to a home, as this will also help prevent against frozen pipes.
ALINK Insurance Services is here for you! Contact us to discuss any of your insurance needs.
Denver Metro/Parker: 303-752-6479
Colorado Springs: 719-473-6262
Surrounding States: 877-643-6148
Materials obtained from the Advantage Sewer & Drain October 2014 Newsletter