You crack me up.
AP Photo provided by Mike Dinneen. Click here to read more.
Before an Earthquake
- Anchor heavy furniture (such as bookshelves, dressers, filing cabinets) to walls.
- Use straps or safety cables to anchor water heaters and appliances to walls.
- Make sure that items hanging from the ceiling are secure to the building structure.
- Add steel plates or anchor bolts between your home structure and foundation.
- Brace un-reinforced concrete walls, chimneys, masonry, and foundation.
- Stay informed about your communities risk and response plan.
- Establish an emergency plan with your family.
- Practice drop, cover, and hold on in safe places identified around your home. A safe place could be under sturdy furniture or against an interior wall away from windows or tall furniture that could fall.
During an Earthquake
- As mentioned above - drop, cover, and hold on!
- Move as little as possible and protect your head and torso.
- If you are already indoors, stay there. Do not exit a home or building until shaking has completely stopped.
- Move away from windows, doors, skylights, heavy furniture, or anything that could topple over.
- If you're outside, quickly move to an open space away from trees, buildings, street lights, and electrical lines.
- If driving, slowly pull your vehicle to the side of the road. Do not stop under bridges, overpasses, roadway signs, or power lines.
After an Earthquake
- Drive cautiously and watch out for cracks or debris on roads. If possible, avoid bridges and ramps that may be unstable due to damage.
- If you are near a cliff or in a mountainous area, be alert for falling rock, toppled trees, or landslides.
- Clean up broken glass and debris immediately to avoid potential injury.
- Board up broken doors and windows.
- Cover a damaged roof with tarp or plywood.
- Set aside damaged items in a safe place to be further inspected later.
- Save receipts if any temporary repairs are made.
Nature is a fickle friend, and home policies exclude earthquake coverage. ALINK Insurance Services is here to help prepare you for when the unexpected hits. Give us a call today at any of our offices below to discuss your insurance questions or needs.
Denver Metro/Parker: 303-752-6479
Colorado Springs: 719-473-6262
Surrounding States: 877-643-6148
We’re your link to security!