However, this time of year often sees other, more tragic defining moments - serious car accidents involving teens who are distracted or even under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
At ALINK Insurance Services, we want to help make this season one to celebrate for you and your teen. So, with the help of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, here are some tips that can keep your teen safe.
First, encourage your teen to follow these general safe-driving rules:
Absolutely NO alcohol
ALWAYS use seat belts
NO cell phone use (including texting) while driving
Of course, special events such as graduation often present special circumstances. It’s a good idea to discuss your expectations well before the event, putting some guidelines into place before your teen heads out to celebrate. Here are some ideas:
- Make sure you know the itinerary, as well as who else will be with your teen. You should have contact information for everyone.
- Have a way to contact your teen at all times. You may want to require them to check in with you once or twice over the course of the day or evening.
- Set a curfew, whether they are coming back to your home or staying with a friend. If they are staying elsewhere, make sure the curfew will be enforced by a responsible adult.
- Discuss with your teen how to handle difficult situations, such as facing pressure to drink, or accepting a ride with someone who shouldn’t be driving. It’s a good idea to provide your child with money for a taxi just in case.
- Offer a “no-questions-asked” ride home, should they need one.
- If you’re worried about your teen driving, consider alternate transportation, such as a car service, or asking a responsible adult driver to act as chauffeur, especially if teens are hitting multiple parties in one evening.
Graduation is a special time in a teen’s life. Just a little common sense will go a long way toward making sure your young adult is around to enjoy the other milestones that are sure to come.
At ALINK Insurance Services, we're here to help. If you would like an insurance review as your new graduate prepares to head off to college, please contact us!
Denver Metro/Parker: 303-752-6479
Colorado Springs: 719-473-6262
Surrounding States: 877-643-6148