Preparing Your Home for Winter:
Preparing your home for the cold weather is one of the most important things you can do this fall. Follow these tips to ensure that you don't end up with frozen pipes this winter.
- Make sure furnace is set at a minimum of 55 degrees to prevent frozen pipes.
- Disconnect outdoor water hoses.
- Close the shut-off valves leading to outside faucets, and drain water from the pipes.
- Because your water heater works harder in cold temperatures, be sure that it is running at optimal levels. Flush the tank to rid it of sediment and build-up.
- Set your water heater at 120 degrees for ideal performance. (Note this is scalding hot water, be sensitive to safety concerns with small children in the home.)
- Clear leaves and debris from gutters and downspouts.
- Insulate water lines that run along exterior walls.
- Open cabinet doors to allow heat to flow in concealed spaces.
- Inspect and clean your sump pump.
- Clean sewer lines to prevent a backup.
- Check weather stripping and insulation around exterior doors and windows.
Let's take these cooler temperatures on by storm and be prepared! Contact us here at ALINK Insurance Services to ensure that all your insurance needs are met this approaching winter season.
Denver Metro/Parker: 303-752-6479
Colorado Springs: 719-473-6262
Surrounding States: 877-643-6148
Materials obtained from the Advantage Sewer & Drain October 2014 Newsletter