- Purchase flood insurance for your home (and business) and its contents. Normal homeowners and business policies exclude damages resulting from flooding. Contact us at ALINK Insurance Services to determine your flood risk.
- Safeguard your possessions. The best way to do this is by creating and maintaining a home/business inventory, and keeping it in a secure place. A current inventory of your personal possessions can ensure you have adequate coverage and speed up the claims process if you have a loss. If you don’t have a home inventory, there is no better time to start than now. The I.I.I. offers free web-based Know Your Stuff® Home Inventory software and apps, so creating one is easy. ALINK Insurance Services is also able to archive your digital records in your customer file. Call your agent today for details on how to do this.
- Prepare your house. Make sure your sump pump is working properly, and install a battery-operated backup in case of power failure. Water alarms are also available to alert you of water accumulating in your basement. Clear debris from gutters and downspouts. Move furniture, valuables and important documents to a safe place.
- Develop a family emergency plan. Have an easy-to-carry and accessible 72-hour kit containing drinking water, canned food, first aid, blankets, a radio, flashlights, and other needs suited to your family (items for babies or small children). Plan a flood evacuation route with your family - know safe routes from home, work, and school that are on higher ground. Ask an out-of-state relative or friend to be your emergency family contact. Have a plan to protect your pets and other animals.
If you happen to be caught in a flood, here are a few safety tips to keep in mind:
- Go to higher ground and avoid areas subject to flooding.
- Do not attempt to walk across flowing streams or drive through flooded roadways.
- If water rises in your home before you can evacuate, go to the top floor, attic, or roof.
- Listen to a battery-powered radio for the latest storm information.
- Turn off all utilities at the main power switch and close the main gas valve if advised to do so.
- If you've come in contact with floodwaters, wash your hands with soap and disinfected water to avoid sickness.
If you have any questions regarding flood or any other type of insurance, contact us at ALINK Insurance Services - we can help!